I want to reveal new information to readers, help them understand complex issues, and connect with others through multiple forms of storytelling.
Social media: I pioneered social media efforts at Kitsap Sun, established its presence on Facebook and Twitter, and built and engaged audiences on both. I also trained reporters and editors.
Writing: My subjects ranged from a community-building local food blog to award-winning breaking news coverage and news analysis. As a beat reporter, I honed my ability to cultivate and maintain a network of sources.
Editing: I wrote search engine optimized headlines, edited news for grammatical and factual errors. I also have managed a team of community bloggers and interns.
Videography and Photography: I am adept at editing video with Final Cut. I have produced photo and audio slide shows using free audio editing tools, Photoshop CS3 and SoundSlides.
Digital media:I have worked with several content management systems (CMS). I know basic HTML and CSS. I organized multimedia projects, such as Kitsap Sun’s interactive cold case database and interviews with Pearl Harbor survivors. I also can create online graphics, such as interactive charts and timelines, using free, web-based tools.
Marketing & Communications Specialist, Harrison Medical Center, Bremerton Wash.
April 2013 – Present
- Manage the creation of content to help patients better understand their health care options
- Keep staff informed so that they can provide that care
- Work with freelance designers
- Ensure our content and collateral meets the needs of multiple departments and stakeholders.
Communications Specialist, Washington State Department of Corrections, Tumwater, Wash.
October 2012 – March 2013
- Build and update a website and create multimedia content to gain support for new rehabilitation initiatives. Audiences include staff, lawmakers and partners
- Work with reporters to answer questions and generate positive press coverage
- Create and edit content for public and internal audiences, such as articles and videos for intranet and public websites, press releases and media advisories
Freelance Journalist, Puget Sound
March 2011 – October 2012
- Contract with Kitsap Sun to cover local school budgets, education trends and features.
- Work on per-assignment basis for other publications, such as Seattle Weekly, to cover music and dining.
Web Editor, Kitsap Sun, Bremerton, Wash.
January 2008 – March 2011
- Managed online content, including organizing Kitsapsun.com’s homepage, editing breaking news and writing web headlines.
- Coordinated digital media projects. Worked with reporters, designers and programmers to create interactive graphics, databases and online presentation.
- Established and maintained Kitsap Sun’s presence on social networks, such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Tracked and analyzed web statistics, such as page views or unique visitors, and used data to suggest ways to improve traffic. From January 2008 to January 2011, page views jumped 130 percent from 1.7 million per month to 3.9 million per month.
- Led digital media training for reporters and editors and taught them to write search engine optimized headlines, create online videos and use social
Web Producer, The545.com, Bremerton, Wash.
September 2006 – January 2008
- Created and edited written, photographic and video content for nightlife site the545.com, an online-only project of Kitsap Sun.
- Managed a team of interns, edited their articles and photos.
- Helped organize and attend promotional events.
Reporter, Kitsap Sun, Bremerton, Wash.
April 2001 – September 2006
- Covered a range of beats including crime, business, local government, entertainment and lifestyle features.
- Awards include a C.B. Blethen Award for The Meth Toll, detailing the wide-ranging ramifications of methamphetamine production and abuse on the Kitsap Peninsula, and various Society of Professional Journalists Region 10 awards for feature and news writing and digital storytelling.
Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA — BA, Journalism
University of Washington Continuing Education, Seattle, WA — Certificate in Literary Fiction I